Often referred to as ‘endodontics,’ this is a procedure where the Dentist will treat infection deep in the centre of the tooth – known as the ‘root canal.’
This is the Dental Pulp at the centre of the tooth and it is very important that this area is kept healthy and treated promptly when an issue is identified.
The infection can be caused by various issues, most commonly:
- Tooth decay,
- Leaky fillings,
- Trauma damage to the teeth, from things such as a bad fall.
So How do we Diagnose Root Canal Issues in Your Teeth?
The symptoms that should prompt a visit to your Dentist for a consultation are:
- Pain when eating – particularly sensitivity to hot and cold food and drinks,
- Pain when biting or chewing,
- A loose tooth.
It’s REALLY IMPORTANT to visit your Dentist when these symptoms occur, as the centre of your tooth (the pulp) is effectively dying! When the pulp has gone completely, the symptoms will subside, but more severe issues will eventually follow, such as:
- Severe pain when biting or chewing,
- Swelling of the gum near the affected tooth,
- Pus coming out from around the infected tooth,
- Noticeable facial swelling,
- The tooth becoming darker in colour.
These symptoms are really not very good and if treatment is not forthcoming you may loose that tooth for good – so please do visit your Dentist as soon as possible! Fear not though, as long as you visit Hartley Dental when the initial symptoms occur – we should be able to save your tooth and always look to keep the natural teeth in your mouth wherever we can!
Book an appointment or call us on 01752 661361
Questions About Root Canal
The Dentist is basically then left left with two options:
1) Perform root canal treatment,
2) Extract the tooth.
“I would highly recommend Hartley Dental, in fact, I was so impressed that I made appointments for my husband and our children. Thanks again for a great service.”
Jana, October 10th 2015
Membership & Plans
A simple method of looking after your teeth and mouth at a price you can really afford.
Our membership includes:
- Dental Hygienist appointments (30mins per visit)
- Out of hours emergency cover
- Accidental injury cover,
- Emergency cover away from home including when abroad
- A discount on any restorative work required.
We have a four tier system which gives you cover whether you need anything from our most straight forward treatments, to regular treatments for serious gum disease. After an initial assessment we will be able to advise you which of our plans best suits your needs.
And you can get all of this for as little as…
Join 100s of others members today